Sunday 18 May 2008

Another girl

It was a beautiful morning and a welcome change from the recent poor weather. At about 9.30 a.m. I noticed that Amethyst the next mum to be was looking uncomfortable. She kept lying down then getting up, had a roll and then stood with her legs wide apart and her tail in the air. I wandered down to get a closer look and could see the nose of a cria starting to push out.

Our latest addition hit the ground at 10.20 a.m. this morning, with a little help from her friends.

Amethyst was struggling and moaning every time she had a contraction and when the cria's legs came out they were crossed and so I staightened them out but she was still having a bit of a problem and needed a some more assistance. Once the new arrival was out she made rapid progress and was suckling within an hour and a half, which is always a relief

It is a shame that I have not got my camera at the moment, but I am hoping to get a friend to take one tomorrow.

This is the fourth cria of the year and they have all been girls so far which is most satisfying. Long may it continue.http://www.alpacas-for-sale.co.uk/

No comments: